Being a mother is something I have waited and prayed for since I was a young girl mothering dolls. After 4 years of infertility, tests and procedures that failed 100% of the time, we were blessed with a miracle. I have become passionate about helping others through the struggle of infertility and have started a non-profit organization in order to reach out to people across the country.

It has been a process of sorts to be open enough to talk about this part of me, but it is now something that I choose to embrace and appreciate, as I have learned more and more about myself and my purpose.

I hope this blog can be a place where you can find strength and support through others who know the struggle. Please feel free to contact me with questions, advice, or any and all venting. I know that with the help of each other, we can overcome this struggle...or at least handle it in a way that will leave us better for it.

Welcome to my blog - My Journey To Fertility.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Rain


photo courtesy of Zoriah Photojournalist

Trials in life (and dare I say, infertility especially) can feel like a neverending storm with swirling winds and harsh rains. It can be some of the darkest times of life, and has been so for me.

At one point I feel I almost lost my faith, the one thing I never thought I could loose. It was terrifying. I had never felt that kind of...despair. It was "raining" down on me so hard that I couldn't see and was beginning to feel lost. It was a desperate, lonely, dark, and scary place. I instantly recognized my need and wondered how I would feel any sort of peace again and if this, my personal "storm", was ever going to let up.

It took some additional heartache, some deep soul searching, some repentance (of course), as well as some wise words from a man I call 'dad' to start me on a new course and approach. This new course not only affects my approach to my struggle with fertility, but to life in general, and specifically, the rainy parts.

This experience has changed me. This storm has helped me be better. It no longer seems like a curse or punishment, but rather, a blessing. For the change in perspective, I'm so grateful. Where would I be now without this experience? Most likely in that dark place. *shutter* I no longer feel that pain anymore. I don't feel the anger and bitter feelings that seemed to consume too much of my life. I know that I'll still feel emotional, but I know that through the atonement of my Savior, the pain seems to be leaving me and has been replaced with hope, comfort, and love... It's.simply.amazing.

At this point I can honestly say that I feel blessed because of the rain, because of the storm. The Lord is with me! And this storm is making me who I am. I feel like I am literally being led through the dark and unknown by a loving Father who knows me and is willing to carry me through it all. I just have to trust Him in order to let Him. This strength is available to all of us and is only a prayer away. What a blessing.

"Don't you fret...
I don't feel any pain.
A little fall of rain
Can hardly hurt me now.
You're here!
That's all I need to know.

And you will keep me safe.
And you will keep me close.
And rain will make the flowers grow.

Just hold me now,
And let it be.
Shelter me, comfort me.

The rain that brings you here
Is Heaven blessed!
The skies begin to clear
And I'm at rest.
A breath away from where you are.
I've come home from so far.

So don't you fret...
I don't feel any pain.
And rain,
Will make the flowers...
Grow."

I'm still in the thick of my storm, but now...I'm dancing in the rain and looking for the flowers.
It's a much better place to be.

8 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts. You don't know me and I don't know you but I am following your blog because the raw feelings you describe & I can relate to in this trial....whether in the throws of primary or secondary infertility it still causes the same pain and I appreciate your openness about it. It is stormy and sometimes violent rains do cloud the way or vision thru these tough times but most of all just like you I feel gratitude for the blessings that come from this trial both now and in the long run. Hang in there thru it all and keep being strong (except when you can't cuz u are allowed to mourn and hurt---it does completely suck to face infertility in an otherwise very fertile world). A great book on this topic one I completely recommend is "Infertility: Hope, Help and Healing" by Kerstin Daynes. At least I have found it hugely helpful in coping with the lows of this trial. Good luck. I hope your wait is over soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Jill!! Simply beautiful. You are amazing. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am constantly amazed by your positive outlook and attitude. You are incredible. Know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a beautiful post Jill. It really was something I needed to hear, especially lately. I have had my own horrible trials that I have been going through this week and I have felt EXACTLY how you have felt. Thank you for showing me a different way to look at the rain. That song is one of my favorites. Love you Jill and hope you are doing ok with recent events. You are a good friend and I hope that someday very soon you will have that baby you have always dreamed of, lying in your arms. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jill you have a way with words. love it. Love u lots

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a gem among rocks. I admire that you can make the transition and see the different perspective in your trial. It took me a long time to wade through it and get to where you are.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. being on the other side of "inferitily" i can say that the "rain" IS a blessing! Made my faith sooo much stronger in the end with giving in to the "lords will"

    ReplyDelete