Being a mother is something I have waited and prayed for since I was a young girl mothering dolls. After 4 years of infertility, tests and procedures that failed 100% of the time, we were blessed with a miracle. I have become passionate about helping others through the struggle of infertility and have started a non-profit organization in order to reach out to people across the country.

It has been a process of sorts to be open enough to talk about this part of me, but it is now something that I choose to embrace and appreciate, as I have learned more and more about myself and my purpose.

I hope this blog can be a place where you can find strength and support through others who know the struggle. Please feel free to contact me with questions, advice, or any and all venting. I know that with the help of each other, we can overcome this struggle...or at least handle it in a way that will leave us better for it.

Welcome to my blog - My Journey To Fertility.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Varicocele

A varicocele is a dilated (enlarged) group of veins in the scrotum. Just like some people have dilated or "varicose" veins in their legs, some men have dilated veins in their scrotum. The dilated veins are filled with excess blood.

In people who have large varicose veins in their legs, the valves are not functioning properly and the blood is actually pooling in their legs. Because of this they will find that after standing for long periods of time, the blood has collected in their legs, giving them a heavy dragging feeling. Men with varicoceles may notice a heavy, dragging, aching feeling in the scrotum ("ball sack") at the end of the day. There too the valves in the veins that drain the blood from the testicles (the internal spermatic veins) are not functioning properly and allow the blood to collect.

Varicocele are the only treatable condtion for male infertility, although with time sometimes infertility can improve.

Source: Mayoclinic.com

1 comment:

  1. My husband has this, but 2 surgeries haven't improved anything, fertility-wise. :(

    ReplyDelete