Being a mother is something I have waited and prayed for since I was a young girl mothering dolls. After 4 years of infertility, tests and procedures that failed 100% of the time, we were blessed with a miracle. I have become passionate about helping others through the struggle of infertility and have started a non-profit organization in order to reach out to people across the country.

It has been a process of sorts to be open enough to talk about this part of me, but it is now something that I choose to embrace and appreciate, as I have learned more and more about myself and my purpose.

I hope this blog can be a place where you can find strength and support through others who know the struggle. Please feel free to contact me with questions, advice, or any and all venting. I know that with the help of each other, we can overcome this struggle...or at least handle it in a way that will leave us better for it.

Welcome to my blog - My Journey To Fertility.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Pound the Pavement for Parenthood 2010

October 15th I was discouraged after hearing that IVF was our only option. $12,000...(at least) After brainstorming with friends it was decided: yard sale, bake sale, 5K run. We had 3 weeks...three weeks to make these ideas work out to be successful fundraising.

I wasn't expecting huge success (I don't think any of us were) but we had tried so hard to get the word out about our little 5K. We were annoying to most people most likely, but it didn't matter. This was important to me. It was important to us. We had worked hard to make a difference, and we wanted to make it a good experience for all those who came to support us.

November 13th was the date. We were trying to beat the winter weather and were praying hard and hoping that cooler temperatures wouldn't scare away those who had committed to run.

6:00am that morning came quickly. It looked like midnight outside. I pulled Marv out of bed and put him to work hauling and moving, basically running any errand that suddenly came to mind. He's a good sport like that.

Everything was slowly coming together. Sarah and I hung the big banner with freezing fingers and got all of the raffle prizes displayed. We set up tables and signs. Balloons were placed at the start and finish. We had participant bags lined up and ready for finishers. The bake sale was stocked with delicious donated goods.




We could start to see our plans for the run come to life at the same time the rest of the world started waking up. There was still a lot to do and my fingers were numb now. Sarah and I decided to try to warm up for a bit in her car (all but 5 minutes) as we sent our husbands to recheck the route and hang more posters (oh and also, get ready to run boys!).

8:30am more "helpers" showed up and began to prepare their places and ask for direction on what they could do to help. We were very lucky to have so many wonderful friends and family who offered to volunteer in the early morning cold and during the run to help everything run smoothly. I was still praying it would warm up a bit for these wonderful runners.

9:05am our first runner showed up at the check in desk. I didn't recognize him. Butterflies also decided to show up at this time. Praying praying praying...for what? I didn't even know at that point.

9:40am I was surrounded by people, wonderful kind-hearted people who came to run. I was overwhelmed by the good people in my life: friends, neighbors, and family. I looked around to see that I didn't recognize near everyone that was there. Some of these generous people were strangers to me, lovely strangers who were touched by the struggle of infertility and came to show support for our desire to become parents.

9:55am, I told Becky that we should start having everyone head to the starting line. I couldn't speak in the megaphone. It was too much for me to speak to these runners who were bundled up and ready to "pound the pavement" for Marv and I. Too much.

10:00am, "On your mark, get set....GO!" I saw them start to run. I saw strollers being pushed. I heard people screaming "Woohoos!" I saw old friends, new friends, strangers, and my Marv running for us; for our family, for our children. I completely broke down. All of the work, late nights, and stress came to a head; a wonderful, glorious, humbling head. The emotion was one I have never before felt. It was happening. We had done it. And they were running.


Then I was nothing but a mess of tears; grateful relieving tears hiding behind a camera. I hugged my friends and said more prayers of thanks.

It warmed up during the run. I rode on the back of a neighbor's four-wheeler taking pictures of these people who were changing my life with each step they took on our crudely marked running route. There were so many smiles, waves, and cheers. I got emotional again on the back of that four-wheeler...








The winner ran it in 17 minutes. Crazy cool. I watched people finished. They were still smiling. Participation bags were passed out, as well as water and apples.

We had face painting and balloons for kids, and also enjoyed live music. It really was a good time, if I do say so.





11:00am we started the raffle. Coneys t-shirts and coupons. Oh how I LOVE Coneys. Great people and DELISH food. But seriously. Go check them out! We also gave away Etsy products and crafts, photography sessions, t-shirts, and gift cards.




One of the best parts of the day?...talking and meeting these wonderful supporters. (and did you notice the little guy in the top center? LOVE it)

(oh how wish I would've thought to take a group photo before everyone started to leave.)

The day ended for us with a trip to Coneys for custard and burgers, then home for essential oils and sweats in front of Harry Potter on Blue Ray. Oh...it was just perfect.

I will never forget November 13th. One of the best days of my life. I can't say thank you enough to Sarah and Becky, and our supportive husbands. It really wouldn't have happened without either one of these amazing women.


I am amazed at the participants, volunteers, donors, and sponsors who offered help in such a short amount of time. Thank you. Thank you all so much.
Love, Allen and Jill


So how do I know if this was a success? For me, Pound the Pavement for Parenthood ended up being a huge success mainly because this (now) organization is going to give us opportunity to meet and help so many wonderful deserving couples who are also wanting to become parents.

I met the Greens this weekend, a very special couple we have chosen to help plan their race this year. It's going to be bigger and better...and just as special. Pound the Pavement for Parenthood - May 14th. Mark your calendars and look for more details coming soon. You don't want to miss this opportunity to rally together and support this cause and especially these incredible people.

Amanda and Austin, I.Can't.Wait.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome Jill! Thanks for sharing everything. What an incredible day. You are simply inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, I loved this post. It definitely had me in tears. I am SO glad that it turned out so great for you and that you were able to feel the support of so many people. I am still so sad I couldn't be there.

    I also think it is incredible that with all you are going through you are already planning the next one for the next couple. You are incredible! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great experience, Jill. We're just trying to fathom how it made you feel to see so many people begin to pound the pavement for you and Allen.
    Pound the pavement for parenthood May 14th. We're looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my advice for you...see if your doctor has a plan to buy two IVF cycles , it took us 3 tries... and i know that after the first one didnt' take i was so thankful we had bought the two tries...there was a discount.. I think we paid 13,000 for both...of course that doesn't include medicines...

    ReplyDelete